August 6, 2007

Down time

I'd been feeling down a pint all week and by Saturday evening I had to face facts: I'm sick. Sore throat, stuffy head, exhausted, went 24 hours without knitting a stitch, sick. What a way to spend a summer weekend.

The will to knit has returned, though the mercury twist sock is about as much as I can manage. The pattern (Cable and Rib Socks from Favorite Socks) suggests working nine repeats of the cable pattern before beginning the heel flap, but I decided on seven. This pair is for me and I don't want them too high.

The Patons Kroy is a little thicker than most sock yarns and is working up firmly on 2.25mm needles. Experience suggests that they'll relax and soften quite a bit after the first wash. The slightly fuzzy nature of the yarn means that the cables aren't quite as defined as they might be but this seems right for cozy cold weather socks.



I've been using some of the knitting down time to scheme. I've got a trip coming up in September and have a few things I'd like to get done before I go. Then there's projects to be planned for the trip itself. I'm still behind on baby knitting and Christmas will be looming before I know it. Oh and then there's the seething den of temptation that is Ravelry. So many patterns, so many projects.

In summary: Bad time to be sick. Good time to be a knitter. Grey socks make for boring blog photos. Further updates as events warrant.

No comments: