September 13, 2007

M & Ms and I-cord

My friend Pepsi (not his real name) estimated at the time of his thirtieth birthday that by that point in his life he had almost certainly eaten his weight in M & Ms. He further anticipated that he will repeat this feat over every following decade. Pepsi is a big guy so that's a lot of M & Ms (these facts may not be unrelated).

That little factoid crept into my mind since in the past few days I have knit more than my height (in fact more than Pepsi's height) in I-cord. It's one of those rare times in the knitting when it's okay to knit too much (it'll be cut anyway) so I have decided to err on the side of too much, rather than run short. I want the handles of the fabric of the cosmos bag to go comfortably over my shoulder and I-cord always looses a lot of length in felting.

The Beryl socks have finally hit a stride and are moving right along. The mid weight STR is working up at a significantly larger gauge than I had anticipated. Now that I've stopped fighting it I can see that the end socks are going to be lovely and cushy. The yarn has a nice hard twist so the stitch definition is fab.


See? Nice. This sock progress shot has been brought to you by my new camera. I'm still getting used to it, but I'm pretty pleased thus far. Macro goodness!

And with the new camera we finally have a FO shot of the mercury twist socks. It's vexingly difficult to photograph ones own feet in a pleasing manner.


See how the cable takes a funny little jog over the heel? I should have fixed that. Overall though I'm very happy with them. The pattern is Cable Rib socks from Favorite Socks and the yarn is Patons Kroy (4ply) in Mercury.

The evenings are getting cooler here and it's only two weeks till I head to the Alps. Woolly socks are definitely back in the wardrobe rotation. This makes me happier than it probably should.

No comments: